The Ponte Sant’Angelo is the beautiful bridge seen next to the Sant’Angelo. Years ago people took the bridge to get to St. Peter’s. During a jubilee year, part of the bridge fell and many people making the pilgrimage were killed in the river. In 1535 Pope Clemente VII called for statues be built on the bridge. Pope Clement IX ordered more statues of angels be built on the bridge.